When it comes to computer processors, the Intel Core i5 9400 2.90 GHz is a popular choice for many users. In this article, we’ll take a closer look at this CPU and its specifications, performance, and benefits.
Are you looking for a processor that has a good balance between power and cost? The Intel Core i5 9400 2.90 GHz is an excellent choice for anyone who needs strong multitasking performance in an affordable package. With 6 cores and 6 threads, the 9400 offers plenty of output to handle demanding applications such as photo editing, video rendering, or multimedia usage with ease.
Whether it’s gaming or content creation, this CPU is equipped with features that allow users to enjoy their computer by accomplishing more tasks at once without compromising performance. In addition to higher clock speeds than its predecessor, the Intel Core i5 9400 2.90GHz also comes with enhanced integrated graphics, allowing users access to the latest games on medium settings or higher when combined with an adequate graphics card.
Let’s dive into some of its advantages and drawbacks so we can help you decide if it’s right for your computing needs!
- What is the Intel Core i5 9400 2.90 GHz?
- Intel Core i5 9400 2.90 GHz Specifications
- Benefits of Using Intel Core i5 9400 2.90 GHz
- Intel Core i5 9400 2.90 GHz Drawbacks
- Comparing the Intel Core i5 9400 2.90 GHz to other CPUs
- Overclocking the Intel Core i5 9400 2.90 GHz
- Cooling solutions for the Intel Core i5 9400 2.90 GHz
- Upgrading to the Intel Core i5 9400 2.90 GHz
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Can the i5 9400 handle gaming?
- Is the i5 9400 suitable for video editing?
- Can the i5 9400 be used for virtualization?
- What is the difference between the i5 9400 and i5 9400F?
- Can the i5 9400 be overclocked?
- What is the TDP of the i5 9400?
- Does the i5 9400 support hyper-threading?
- What is the cache size of the i5 9400?
- What is the maximum supported memory speed for the i5 9400?
- What is the socket type for the i5 9400?
What is the Intel Core i5 9400 2.90 GHz?
The Intel Core i5 9400 2.90 GHz is a 9th generation processor manufactured by Intel. It’s a hexa-core CPU with six cores and six threads, which means it can handle six different tasks simultaneously. It has a base clock speed of 2.90 GHz, and a turbo boost frequency of up to 4.10 GHz.
The i5 9400 is part of the Coffee Lake Refresh family, and it’s built on a 14nm process. It also comes with Intel’s Hyper-Threading Technology, which allows each core to handle two threads at the same time, increasing overall performance.
Intel Core i5 9400 2.90 GHz Specifications
Here are the key specifications of the i5 9400:
- Base Clock Speed: 2.90 GHz
- Turbo Boost Frequency: up to 4.10 GHz
- Cores: 6
- Threads: 6
- TDP: 65W
- Cache: 9MB SmartCache
- Memory Support: DDR4-2666
- Graphics: Intel UHD Graphics 630
The i5 9400 performs well in both single-core and multi-core tasks. In single-core benchmarks, it outperforms many other processors in its class, thanks to its high clock speed. In multi-core benchmarks, it can handle up to six threads at the same time, which makes it a great choice for multitasking.
The i5 9400 also comes with Intel’s UHD Graphics 630, which provides decent graphics performance for basic tasks such as browsing the web or watching videos. However, it’s not suitable for high-end gaming or professional graphics work.
Benefits of Using Intel Core i5 9400 2.90 GHz
The Intel Core i5 9400 2.90 GHz is a processor commonly used in desktop computers. It has several benefits, including:
- High processing speed: With a base clock speed of 2.90 GHz, this processor is capable of handling multiple tasks simultaneously and processing them quickly.
- Improved efficiency: The i5 9400 is built on Intel’s 14nm manufacturing process, which makes it more power-efficient than older processors.
- Good value for money: The i5 9400 offers high performance at an affordable price, making it a popular choice for budget-conscious users.
- Supports advanced technologies: The processor supports advanced technologies such as Intel Turbo Boost and Intel Optane memory, which can further improve performance.
- Suitable for gaming: The i5 9400 can handle most modern games with ease, making it a good choice for gamers who don’t want to spend a lot of money on a high-end processor.
The Intel Core i5 9400 2.90 GHz is a reliable and cost-effective processor that offers high performance and efficiency for most computing needs.
Intel Core i5 9400 2.90 GHz Drawbacks
Although the Intel Core i5 9400 2.90 GHz processor has several benefits, there are also some drawbacks to consider, such as:
- No Hyper-Threading: Unlike some higher-end processors, the i5 9400 does not support Hyper-Threading, which means it can only handle one task per core at a time. This may limit its performance in certain tasks, such as video editing or heavy multitasking.
- Limited Overclocking: The i5 9400 has limited overclocking potential, which may be a drawback for users who want to push their system to its limits.
- No Integrated Graphics: The i5 9400 does not have integrated graphics, which means users will need to purchase a separate graphics card for any graphics-intensive tasks such as gaming or video editing.
- Limited upgrade options: The i5 9400 uses the LGA1151 socket, which is not compatible with the latest Intel processors. This means users may have limited upgrade options in the future.
- No PCIe 4.0 Support: The i5 9400 does not support the latest PCIe 4.0 standard, which may limit its performance in certain tasks that require fast data transfer speeds.
The Intel Core i5 9400 2.90 GHz processor is a solid choice for most users, but it may not be the best option for those who require high-performance graphics or multitasking capabilities.
Comparing the Intel Core i5 9400 2.90 GHz to other CPUs
When compared to other CPUs in its price range, the i5 9400 competes well. Its closest competitor is the AMD Ryzen 5 3600, which has similar specs but a slightly higher price point. The i5 9400 is also comparable to the older i7 8700K in terms of performance.
However, if you’re willing to spend a bit more, the i5 10600K or i7 10700K offer better performance and overclocking capabilities.
Overclocking the Intel Core i5 9400 2.90 GHz
The i5 9400 can be overclocked, but it’s not recommended due to its locked multiplier. Overclocking can also increase power consumption and heat, which can cause stability issues. If you’re looking to overclock, it’s better to invest in a CPU with an unlocked multiplier.
Cooling solutions for the Intel Core i5 9400 2.90 GHz
The i5 9400 comes with a stock cooler, which is sufficient for most users. However, if you’re looking to overclock or use your CPU for more demanding tasks, it’s recommended to invest in a better cooling solution, such as a liquid cooler or a high-end air cooler.
Upgrading to the Intel Core i5 9400 2.90 GHz
If you’re upgrading from an older CPU, the i5 9400 is a good choice. It offers significant performance improvements over older processors, and it’s affordable.
However, if you’re building a new PC, it’s worth considering newer CPUs, such as the i5 10600K or i7 10700K, which offer better performance and features.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can the i5 9400 handle gaming?
Yes, the i5 9400 can handle most modern games, but it’s not suitable for high-end gaming.
Is the i5 9400 suitable for video editing?
The i5 9400 can handle basic video editing tasks, but it’s not suitable for professional video editing.
Can the i5 9400 be used for virtualization?
Yes, the i5 9400 supports virtualization technology.
What is the difference between the i5 9400 and i5 9400F?
The i5 9400F is a slightly cheaper version of the i5 9400 that doesn’t include integrated graphics.
Can the i5 9400 be overclocked?
Yes, the i5 9400 can be overclocked, but it’s not recommended due to its locked multiplier.
What is the TDP of the i5 9400?
The TDP (Thermal Design Power) of the i5 9400 is 65 watts, which means it’s efficient and generates less heat than some of the higher-end CPUs.
Does the i5 9400 support hyper-threading?
No, the i5 9400 doesn’t support hyper-threading. It has six cores and six threads.
What is the cache size of the i5 9400?
The i5 9400 has 9MB of Smart Cache, which helps improve performance by reducing data access latency.
What is the maximum supported memory speed for the i5 9400?
The i5 9400 supports up to DDR4-2666 memory speed, which is sufficient for most users.
What is the socket type for the i5 9400?
The i5 9400 uses the LGA 1151 socket type, which means it’s compatible with a range of motherboards. However, it’s important to check the compatibility with your specific motherboard before purchasing.
The Intel Core i5 9400 2.90 GHz is a good choice for users who are looking for an affordable CPU that offers decent performance for most tasks. It’s efficient, has a low TDP, and comes with integrated graphics. However, it’s worth considering other CPUs in Intel’s lineup if you’re looking for higher performance or need more graphics power.
Information Security Asia is the go-to website for the latest cybersecurity and tech news in various sectors. Our expert writers provide insights and analysis that you can trust, so you can stay ahead of the curve and protect your business. Whether you are a small business, an enterprise or even a government agency, we have the latest updates and advice for all aspects of cybersecurity.