VPN will shield your on-line privateness, provide you with entry to extra international content material whilst you’re at house, and allow you to use native Aussie companies if you’re overseas. However discovering the best one for Australia could be tough, particularly if you’re in search of a free VPN.
I spent a number of weeks testing 40+ free VPNs for Australia, and located that a lot of them aren’t protected to make use of — in any respect. Some leak or promote your identifiable data, whereas others lack key safety features, so you possibly can’t rely on them to guard your knowledge from hackers or prying eyes.
Even for those who’re simply trying to entry extra streaming companies at house, you’ll should cope with annoying caps and limitations. Free VPNs can’t often entry the preferred platforms, and people that may have low month-to-month knowledge caps, so you possibly can’t use them for lengthy.
I did discover just a few free VPNs for Australia which are no less than protected to make use of (which I’ve listed beneath). However the reality is, if you need a dependable service and don’t need to cope with inconvenient restrictions, your finest wager is to go for an inexpensive paid VPN as a substitute.
Of all of the VPNs I examined, ExpressVPN is my favourite. Whereas it’s not 100% free, it’s nonetheless my prime decide as a result of it provides wonderful speeds, limitless knowledge, sturdy safety, and a worldwide community that makes it an excellent selection for streaming and gaming. It’s additionally backed by a 30-day money-back assure, so you possibly can attempt ExpressVPN risk-free.
Attempt ExpressVPN Threat-Free >>
Greatest Free VPNs for Australia — Full Evaluation (Up to date in 2022)
1. ExpressVPN — The Quickest, Most Safe VPN in Australia
ExpressVPN is the one possibility on my checklist that ticks all the best bins for Australia. Whether or not you need to obtain information, browse, stream, entry extra video games, or simply shield your on-line privateness, ExpressVPN will allow you to do all of it with out annoying caps or slowdowns.
For one, ExpressVPN is the quickest of all of the VPNs I examined. I attempted 7 of its close by servers, and recorded a median obtain velocity of 60 Mbps (solely a 3% drop from my base connection). Even long-distance connections over 8,000 km away gave me 57 Mbps, so I barely observed the distinction in velocity. I had no drawback streaming in HD and 4K.
Accessing geo-restricted content material is tremendous straightforward too, due to ExpressVPN’s international server community. From exterior Australia, I may entry Channel 9, Stan, Kayo Sports activities, and Netflix Australia through the Brisbane server. In the meantime, we may use a Chicago server to stream Netflix US, Disney+, Hulu, and HBO Max.
Equally necessary, ExpressVPN makes it a degree to guard its customers’ privateness in any respect prices. It has a strict no-logs coverage that has been independently audited by a number of companies. Additionally, it’s based mostly within the British Virgin Islands, the place there aren’t any knowledge retention legal guidelines.
Regardless that it’s not utterly free, you possibly can attempt ExpressVPN utterly risk-free because it’s backed by a 30-day money-back assure. If you happen to don’t prefer it, it is simple to get a full refund.
- Sturdy safety features. All of your knowledge is well-protected with ExpressVPN’s sturdy safety features, like AES 256-bit encryption, leak safety, and an automated kill swap.
- RAM-based servers. ExpressVPN makes use of RAM-only servers, which implies all consumer knowledge will get deleted on each reboot. You may relaxation assured that your on-line exercise is not going to be traced again to you whether or not you’re in Australia or overseas.
- P2P-friendly servers. Every of ExpressVPN’s servers is P2P-friendly, so you possibly can torrent safely and with out limitations.
- SmartDNS proxy. ExpressVPN’s MediaStreamer helps you to stream geoblocked content material on units that don’t usually help VPNs. This consists of sensible TVs, gaming consoles, Roku, and extra.
- Break up-tunneling. This allows you to use your VPN connection solely on sure apps of your selecting. For instance, you should utilize split-tunneling to guard your torrent site visitors alone whereas the remainder of the apps use the direct web.
Attempt ExpressVPN Threat-Free >>
2. CyberGhost — Specialty Aussie Servers for Streaming and Extra
CyberGhost makes a superb VPN for Australia due to its low costs and streaming-optimized servers. For an excellent low month-to-month subscription, you possibly can simply entry international streaming companies, like Netflix, Disney+, and extra.
I examined its Netflix AU specialty server and had no drawback accessing the content material unique to this area. The VPN labored simply as nicely with Netflix US and BBC iPlayer. To see how dependable the connections are, I related to its Melbourne server and watched Silver Level on ABC iView with no interruptions.
CyberGhost provides easy-to-use apps for many trendy units. I may set up the VPN on my Home windows laptop computer in underneath 2 minutes. Plus, it provides a 1-click join characteristic which mechanically units you up with the quickest server based mostly in your location.
To guard your digital privateness, CyberGhost has a strict no-logs coverage. It’s additionally based mostly in privacy-friendly Romania, which is exterior of the 5/9/14 Eyes jurisdiction. This implies it could simply uphold its privateness dedication to the customers.
Though you must pay for it upfront, its 45-day money-back assure lets you take a look at CyberGhost out without spending a dime. If you happen to’re not joyful, you will get a full refund.
- Quick speeds. Throughout my exams on its close by servers, I recorded a median velocity of 51 Mbps (a drop of solely 18%). It’s not as quick as ExpressVPN, however if in case you have a good baseline connection, you’ll have the ability to stream, torrent, and browse with out important slowdowns.
- Devoted torrenting and gaming servers. These are optimized for quick speeds, so you possibly can obtain information shortly and play video games with out lag.
- Sturdy safety. This consists of leak safety, military-grade encryption, and an automated kill swap.
- Auto-protect characteristic. This mechanically connects you to a VPN server if you hop on a public WiFi community.
Attempt CyberGhost for Free >>
3. Proton VPN — Free But Strong Australia VPN With Limitless Information for Streaming
Proton VPN provides limitless knowledge and bandwidth, so you possibly can stream for hours with out interruptions. That is spectacular as a result of most free VPNs impose strict knowledge limits and solely provide you with a few GBs per thirty days.
The free model provides 112 servers in 3 nations (Japan, the Netherlands, and the US). Throughout my exams, I used its US-FREE#3 server and watched 7 episodes of Assault on Titan on Crunchyroll. I by no means skilled any slowdowns or connection drops through the stream. Nonetheless, it didn’t work with Disney+, Hulu, and region-locked Netflix titles.
That mentioned, the free model does have just a few limitations. For instance, you don’t get Australian IP servers, so you possibly can’t watch Australian content material from overseas. Plus, there’s no torrenting help with the free plan.
- Sturdy safety. You get all the essential safety features, together with military-grade encryption, leak safety, and a kill swap.
- Strict no-logs coverage. Proton VPN has a strict no-logs coverage to maintain your delicate data protected. Plus, it’s headquartered in Switzerland, which is a privacy-friendly nation based mostly exterior of the 5/9/14-Eyes alliance.
- WireGuard help. Proton VPN provides WireGuard, which is among the quickest VPN protocols and has wonderful safety. I bought respectable speeds with WireGuard and didn’t expertise buffering points whereas streaming.
- Router help. The free plan solely lets you join one gadget. Nonetheless, it’s suitable with routers, so you possibly can cowl your whole community.
Attempt Proton VPN for Free >>
4. Avira Phantom VPN — Limitless Gadget Connections and Aussie Servers on Cell
Avira Phantom consists of options that you just often do not get with free VPNs. As an illustration, you possibly can safe your whole family with the free plan, due to its limitless simultaneous gadget connections.
As well as, it provides a built-in malware blocker (just for PCs) to make sure your units is not going to be compromised.
Not like the opposite free VPNs on this checklist, the cellular and desktop apps differ considerably. Whereas the desktop apps solely allow you to hook up with your “Nearest Location”, the free apps for iOS and Android provide you with entry to 46 server places, together with 2 in Australia.
Utilizing its Perth server on my Android, I unblocked the whole Netflix Australia library. I used to be additionally in a position to entry Stan and seven Plus. The US – Streaming server labored flawlessly with Netflix US, Disney+, and Hulu as nicely.
It’s too dangerous that Avira solely provides as much as 1 GB of knowledge per thirty days, which is simply sufficient for 1 hour of HD streaming.
Plus, it doesn’t work with routers, so you possibly can’t use it to safe your whole community like you possibly can with Proton VPN.
- Fundamental safety features. The free plan comes with leak safety and military-grade encryption to maintain your knowledge protected. However there’s no kill swap.
- No-logs coverage. Avira Phantom VPN has a strict no-logs coverage, so it is going to by no means retailer any of your identifiable knowledge.
- Respectable speeds. Throughout my exams on Home windows, I related to its free “nearest location” server and acquired a obtain velocity of 38 Mbps (39% velocity loss). Whereas it’s not the quickest VPN I’ve used, it’s nonetheless fairly good for a free VPN.
Attempt Avira Phantom VPN for Free >>
5. conceal.me — Respectable Safety Options to Shield Your Information
conceal.me provides you a variety of distinctive and customizable safety choices. One among these is its Auto Join characteristic, which lets you customise how the VPN reacts if you hook up with a community.
As an illustration, I set it to “ask” earlier than I be part of any unsecured networks. After I visited my native cafe, the VPN notified me that the WiFi there wasn’t secured, and requested if I needed to hook up with the VPN earlier than utilizing it.
conceal.me provides servers in 5 places, together with the US (East and West), Canada, Germany, and the Netherlands. This let me watch Funimation and Crackle, that are blocked in my nation. Nonetheless, I couldn’t get it to work with Netflix US, Disney+, or Hulu.
As well as, the free model doesn’t provide any servers in Australia, so I couldn’t entry my favourite Australian websites both. Nonetheless, you possibly can pay for a subscription and get entry to its whole server community.
You get 10 GB of knowledge per thirty days with the free plan, which is fairly beneficiant in comparison with different free VPNs.
- Dwell chat. conceal.me provides dwell chat help, which is nearly remarkable without spending a dime VPNs. Must you run into any issues, you will get all of your solutions immediately.
- Important safety features. All of conceal.me’s apps include military-grade encryption, leak safety, and an automated kill swap.
- A number of VPN protocols. conceal.me lets you select between 4 VPN protocols. This consists of IKEv2, OpenVPN, SoftEtherVPN, and SSTP.
Attempt conceal.me for Free >>
Fast Comparability Desk: Greatest Free VPNs for Australia
Whereas all of the free VPNs on this checklist are dependable and protected to make use of, they’ve some important variations. The next desk compares key options like speeds and knowledge allowance of every free VPN, so you understand how clean your VPN use might be. Sluggish speeds and restricted knowledge could cause buffering and interruptions throughout your on-line actions — so it is best to look for a quick VPN with loads of knowledge.
Relying in your use for the VPN, you may additionally want a free VPN providing P2P help and servers in Australia. Whereas P2P help is required for torrenting, Australian servers are essential to entry this nation’s websites and streaming platforms.
If safety and privateness are your major considerations, think about the signup course of, the place the VPN relies, and if it provides a kill swap. With out having to enroll, you do not have to share private data with the VPN supplier — resembling your e-mail handle. As well as, VPNs based mostly exterior of the 5/9/14-Eyes jurisdiction should not obligated handy your knowledge over to authorities businesses. To guard your privateness from the websites you go to or your ISP, the kill swap will maintain your site visitors secured in case of a connetion drop.
Begin Threat-Free with ExpressVPN >>
Tips about The way to Select the Greatest Free VPN for Australia
Listed beneath is the factors I used to rank my prime picks. Be at liberty to make use of this as a guidelines in serving to you make an knowledgeable resolution when selecting the most effective free VPN for Australia:
- Actually free — I made certain all of the VPNs on this checklist are both utterly free or backed by a tried-and-tested money-back assure.
- Sturdy safety and privateness — All of the VPNs on this checklist provide important safety features, like military-grade encryption and leak safety. This helps shield your gadget and private knowledge, whether or not you join in Australia or one other location. Furthermore, I additionally learn every VPN’s logging coverage to make sure that they don’t retailer any identifiable consumer data.
- Quick speeds — This makes it simpler to browse, stream, and torrent in or exterior of Australia with out slowdowns. The VPNs on this checklist gave me a minimal of no less than 17 Mbps, which is greater than sufficient for these actions.
- Sufficient knowledge — Most free VPNs impose strict knowledge restrictions. Nonetheless, I made certain to solely checklist the VPNs that provide no less than 1 GB of knowledge, so you may have adequate time to make use of them earlier than encountering any annoying interruptions.
- Streaming help — Free VPNs typically don’t work with streaming websites. Nonetheless, I made certain to solely select VPNs that work with no less than a few streaming websites, like Netflix Originals and Funimation. One of the simplest ways to entry widespread streaming companies (and Australia-specific content material) is to make use of a premium VPN.
- Simple to make use of — Select a free VPN that’s straightforward to make use of. All of the free VPNs on this checklist are straightforward to arrange and have native apps for many trendy units, so you should utilize them with out points even for those who’re new to VPNs.
- Dependable help — Search for a free VPN that gives responsive buyer help. This manner you will get solutions to your questions. Dwell chat is most popular (for faster response instances), however most free VPNs don’t provide it. I made certain to decide on VPNs that provide help, whether or not through dwell chat, e-mail, or data base.
Attempt ExpressVPN Threat-Free >>
Warning: Dangers of Free VPNs!
Along with sluggish speeds and extreme knowledge restrictions, many free VPNs for Australia are unsafe and cannot be trusted together with your knowledge. All of the VPNs on this checklist had been totally examined for his or her security, so you recognize your private data is protected.
These are the dangers that include many free VPNs:
- They’ll log your knowledge. Many free VPNs make revenue by accumulating and promoting your knowledge to 3rd events. Be certain that to decide on a VPN that has a reliable no-logs coverage.
- Your knowledge dangers being uncovered. Free VPNs typically lack necessary safety features, like military-grade encryption and leak safety. Plus, they don’t have the assets to maintain up with the most recent safety vulnerabilities. Information leaks can put you susceptible to being uncovered to varied cyberthreats.
- Free VPNs can expose you to malware. Some free VPNs have been identified to bombard customers with malicious advertisements, which may infect your gadget and put your privateness in danger.
Free VPNs to Keep away from
Not like the free VPNs for Australia on my checklist, these free VPNs are harmful to make use of. They’ll share your knowledge with third events and have had malware and viruses embedded of their apps. The next free VPNs should not protected and needs to be prevented:
- Hola Free VPN: Hola is basically a P2P community — you share your community with different customers on the community. Which means that another person’s site visitors would possibly move by your gadget, and in the event that they had been to do one thing unlawful, you’ll be held accountable since they’re utilizing your IP handle.
- TurboVPN: It retains logs of your knowledge and bombards you with annoying advertisements.
- Betternet VPN: The VPN lacks important safety features, like an automated kill swap and leak safety. As well as, it has a weak privateness coverage and unreliable speeds.
- Psiphon: It logs an enormous quantity of knowledge, together with connection timestamps, session length, and even web sites you go to.
Attempt ExpressVPN Threat-Free >>
FAQs on the Greatest VPNs for Australia
Is utilizing a VPN authorized in Australia?
Sure, it’s utterly authorized to make use of a VPN in Australia. There aren’t any legal guidelines that prohibit VPN use within the nation. Your on-line actions are what decide authorized and unlawful VPN use. As an illustration, utilizing a VPN to obtain copyrighted content material will not be permissible by legislation in any nation, so you possibly can get into bother for that.
The staff at vpnMentor doesn’t condone unlawful actions, so please test your native legal guidelines to keep away from dealing with severe penalties for those who’re unsure.
Which free VPNs have servers in Australia?
Solely the premium VPNs I examined gave me constant entry to Australian servers. My prime really useful VPNs have a number of servers in Australia, which you should utilize to entry Australian content material at any time. Regardless that they’re not 100% free, they’re backed by reliable money-back ensures. This manner, you may have loads of time to check the options with out threat, since you possibly can declare a full refund throughout the assure interval.
That mentioned, Avira Phantom is the one 100% free VPN I examined providing Australian servers — however not everybody will get entry to them. With its Home windows and Mac apps, the server is mechanically chosen for you, which relies in your bodily location. So, for those who’re in (or near) Australia, you then would possibly get related to an Australian server. Nonetheless, its free Android and iOS apps provide you with entry to 2 servers in Australia.
Can I exploit a free VPN to look at geo-restricted content material from Australia?
It is doable, however most free VPNs don’t work nicely with streaming websites. You’re higher off utilizing a low-cost premium VPN that comes with a money-back assure. Free VPNs are often restricted variations of paid VPNs. By limiting safety features, unblocking talents, speeds, and knowledge, they push customers to improve.
Along with accessing Australian content material, low-cost premium VPNs additionally work nicely with international websites, like Netflix US, Disney+, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, and extra. CyberGhost even has streaming-optimized servers that make it tremendous straightforward to unblock widespread websites.
What’s the finest free Australian VPN for Android?
In order for you a 100% free VPN with Australian servers, the best choice is Avira Phantom’s Android app. Most free VPN cellular apps are very restricted on server choice. Nonetheless, Avira provides you a number of international servers, together with 2 situated in Australia. The one downfall is that it solely consists of 1 GB of knowledge per thirty days, which is simply sufficient for light-weight actions like searching and checking emails.
Though it is not 100% free, my best choice for Android is ExpressVPN — you possibly can attempt it risk-free. If you happen to don’t prefer it, then you may have 30 days to assert a full refund. In a nutshell, ExpressVPN’s speeds, in depth server community (with Australian servers), and reliability is unmatched by any free VPN. It additionally has options (like its Lightway protocol) which are designed to enhance battery life on cellular units.
Attempt ExpressVPN Threat-Free >>
Get the Greatest Free VPN for Australia At this time
Many free VPNs for Australia are unsafe and do not work with widespread streaming websites. This may be because of the lack of safety features wanted to masks your IP. Even these which are safe usually have restricted server networks and knowledge — making it tough to do a lot streaming in any respect.
Nonetheless, ExpressVPN not solely works with the preferred streaming websites, nevertheless it’s additionally tremendous protected. It’s not 100% free, nevertheless it doesn’t restrict you want most free VPNs do. It has prime safety features, superfast speeds, and an enormous server community (together with Australian connections). For these causes, it is a superb selection for privateness safety and streaming in Australia or overseas. You may attempt ExpressVPN risk-free because it’s backed by a 30-day money-back assure. If you happen to’re not joyful, you will get a full refund.